Jan 31, 2013

DIY Nursery w/ Homemade Decor: Part 1 DIY Crayon Wall Art

With Noah being my first baby, I had plenty of time on my hands to be creative and crafty in his nursery.  Nine long months to be exact.  I spent hours looking through nursery ideas online, browsing pinterest for inspiration, and crafting with my own twist on things. 

The end result was this.  A green, monkey themed nursery, with touches of "mommy" hidden about the room. 







Perhaps the nicest compliment I've ever been given was by our newborn photographer when she came to take Noah's photos.  "This nursery looks like it belongs in a magazine!"  'Holy Geez', I thought, 'Well butter my buns and call me a biscuit, I've outdone myself!'  Don't worry, I didn't let it go to my head, but I was very flattered indeed and excited that someone else appreciated my craftiness.  So I thought I'd share the ideas I found/modified/came up with so that you have inspiration for your very own DIY/homemade nursery too!

DIY Craft #1: Crayon Art

Need: 
Box of crayons (I got mine at Michael's for $1)
Blank canvas (also purchased at Michael's for around $5)
Hot glue gun
Hair-dryer

Step 1:  Line up your crayons in rainbow order



Step 2:  Hot glue your crayons to your canvas



Step 3:  Blow dry your crayons until they begin to melt.  You can direct the trickle of wax down the canvas with your blow dryer as well.
(Tip:  Hot wax can fly off of your canvas, so make sure you have the area around you covered by newspaper or some other protective barrier)

And there you are!  For under $10, you have your very own colorful piece of artwork.  Infants love bright colors and it's also a great way for toddlers to learn about the colors of the rainbow.

Let me know how yours turn out!

Check back later for Part 2 of the DIY nursery series, featuring my step by step instructions on make your own alphabet letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment