Jan 30, 2013

DIY Ribbon Jar

In the spirit of homemade craftiness, I made Noah, affectionately "Noahbear"  a "ribbon jar".  I was browsing Pinterest the other day and came across a similar idea.  The link took me to a website suggesting that I tie ribbon together, glue to the bottom of an unused travel wipes container, and let said child "go to town" pulling out the magical never-ending strand of ribbon.  Perfect! I thought.  This looked simple enough. 

Problem was, my travel wipes container had a hole opening the size of a small fist.  There would be no fun in pulling ribbon through that mammoth sized hole.  So I racked my brain for a different idea and came up with a mason jar, which I have plenty of lying around the house. 

Step 1:
I took said jar and created a cardboard top for it (in place of the metal one). 


Step 2:
I glued some fun baby boy fabric to the top and cut an "X" in the center of the lid for the ribbon to travel through.

Step 3:
I tied together various lengths of colorful, fun ribbon that I had on hand.

Step 4:
I stuffed fun ribbon into jar.

Step 5:
I gave to child (under supervision since strangulation by ribbon is not a fate I wish for my son) and he had a blast.  Look at the face on this kid....

Now that's one happy baby!  Who knew something so simple could be so fun?  Noah loves to play with this 'toy'.  He grasps the concept of "if i pull, something new will pop through that little hole!"  And it's adorable to see his face light up each time he does it.  You can't beat $0 baby toys =)

Simple.Homemade.Happy.

1 comment: