Feb 10, 2013

DIY Labels for Sewing Projects


 
Keeping true to my current sewing themed posts, I wanted to share with you how I make my homemade sewing labels.  I found a similar idea one day while browsing pinterest, and knew I had to try it.  The original idea came from Tutorial Ideas.  I took her tutorial and modified it a little to my liking and needs.

So since I've been doing a lot of sewing lately, I thought that a cute little homemade label would be a nice final touch to my projects. 

So what you need:
Iron on transfer paper
1.5 in wide white ribbon
your label template
an iron!

Step 1:  Create your label in the program of your choice.  I used Word Publisher, but I'm sure Microsoft Word would also work.  I'm not sure what the Mac equivalent would be, but I know there is one.  To create my label, I played around with different fonts, colors, symbols, etc.  When I found the combo I liked, I "grouped" my design together.  (You can do this by ctrl selecting everything, then right clicking and hitting the "group" button)  This just allows you to copy all the pieces of your label at once.

Once you have everything grouped together, go ahead and copy your label.  Then add copies of your label side by side until you have one row of labels.  Microsoft Publisher helps you with this by making sure you align your pieces evenly, so if your program has it, use the pink/red guidelines.  Once you have an entire row, select all of the labels again and "group" the whole row.  Then copy and paste the rows down the page until you have something that looks like this.

 

One thing you want to be mindful of.... Make sure that your labels aren't any larger than 1.5 inches or they won't fit onto your ribbon. 

Step 2:  Grab your handy dandy t shirt transfer paper.  Make sure your read the instructions on properly loading the paper into the printer.  And before you click print, in the printer settings/properties under paper type, click T-shirt transfer paper.  This will automatically mirror your labels for you.  (I'd print out a test sheet just to be safe)



Step 3:  Now that you have your BEautiful labels, cut em out!


Step 4:  Grab that ribbon and align your labels 2-4 at time along the ribbon for ironing.  (Tip:  Make sure you leave a small edge on top and bottom of label to fold over while sewing.



Step 5:  Iron those puppies on!  I believe I ironed for 15-30 seconds.  I also didn't just leave my iron in one place.  I moved and pressed at different angles.  


Step 6:  AFTER, the ribbon and label have COOLED, remove the backing.  If you remove it while it's still warm, the font will pull up away from the ribbon.  


Step 7:  Admire and SEW to your product!!!  

I use a straight stitch to sew my labels and I fold over the tabs as I go to make sure the edges are finished. 

Hope this tutorial helps you all out!  Let me know how your labels turn out! 






DISCLAIMER:  These are not "heavy" duty labels.  I'm not sure how many washes they will hold up to being that they are transfer/iron on.  If you would like heavier duty labels, you may have to find a different method!

No comments:

Post a Comment