Feb 3, 2013

DIY Nursery w/ Homemade Decor: Part 2 DIY Yarn Letters

Have you all seen those alphabet letters or name decals that a lot of cute nurseries have hanging on the wall?  Usually they are found somewhere above or around the crib...well when i was decorating Noah's nursey, I decided I needed wanted them. So I set out in a hot pursuit of four wooden block letters. First place on the tour was Michaels of course!  Fast forward to me standing in Michaels looking at their wooden block letters while mentally tallying up the price of Noah's name at a steep $5-6  per wooden letter block.  And that price wasn't even for the large sized blocks.  Now 'Noah' is a short name, so the letters would have only set me back $25-30, but that even seemed like more than I wanted to spend on this particular decoration. Additionally, they were unfinished and would need a coat of paint or something to help them out.  So that was a quick elimination for me. Next I thought I'd check out Joann fabrics, which actually turned out to be a little more espensive than Michaels. Humph I thought, what now?

Then the familiar little voice I often have came creeping into my head..."pshhh you can make these". My conscious mind wasn't as confident, but  I was up for the challenge.   So I came up with a home-made alternative that involved some cardboard, ribbon, yarn, hot glue gun, and a lot of patience.  Since I originally posted this project Here the same idea has popped up on Pinterest and other crafty homemade blogs. Seems like crafty minds think alike!  So here's what happened.
DIY Yarn Letters:

Need: 
Yarn, a color of your choice
Cardboard
Scissors or Exacto Knife
Hot Glue Gun


Step 1: 
I took my cardboard and free handed large block letters for N-O-A-H.  Then I used an exacto knife to cut my letters out through the cardboard.
(Tip- Keep your letter edges as straight and smooth as possible.  It makes for easier yarn application)


Step 2:
Glue one end of your yarn on the back edge of your first letter.  When the yarn and glue are set, you can begin wrapping your letter, laying each strand of yarn tightly next to the other.  Be careful not to wind too tightly or your cardboard letter may bow. 
(Tip:  Be creative wit your yarn if you need to.  It's ok to overlap sections and wrap multiple times to make sure that your cardboard is covered)


Step 3: 
I had some green ribbon lying around, so I doubled my ribbon and glued it to the back of my letters for easy hanging. 

And there you have it.  DIY Yarn Letters for baby.  If I did this project again in the future, I think it may be neat to use multiple colors of yarn.  The fun part is, this project is so easy and inexpensive, and it adds a great custom/*homemade* touch to your nursery.  I like it...and I hope Noah will like reaching up and touching his soft letters too...he's definitely getting close to that stage!  =)

So....the breakdown
Total cost of this project.
$2.99  (for the yarn)
Winning?

No comments:

Post a Comment