Mar 10, 2013

DIY Birth Announcement


Hey Friends,

For a quick post, I wanted to share with you my DIY birth announcement for Noah.  Like most new moms, I was excited to share Noah's arrival with the world.  But I wanted to do something different and more unique than the standard birth announcement.  Plus, I was determined to DIY and save some money in the process. 

So I browsed the internet for some ideas.  I thought it would be really cool to play the whole baby as a "package" angle.  You know, sorta akin to the whole stork thing.  Going along with that, I found a really cool graphic art website (which for the life of me I can't locate again), that had a birth announcement formatted to look like a shipping card.  It. was. Awesome.  And I was determined to replicate it and add my own twist. 

That takes me to Word Publisher, which apparently has become a useful program to me!  It took me many hours to create all the lines and bubbles, and get it just right, but I ended up with a document that looked like this....


This isn't an exact replica of the one I found on the web, but it is very similar.   
Fun right?  As you can see the card is arranged into 11 sections.  Each section details certain information about the "package".  The graphics on the label are from google images and I  made up the different serial numbers. I arranged my word document so that two of these fit onto one page.  I then bought some cardstock in a tan-ish color from Michaels to print the announcements out on.  I wanted something "sturdier" so that it would look and feel more official. 
The next step was the fun one.  Filling in the details on each card!
What I really loved about these announcements was how personal they were.  I thought it would be fun for my family and friends to read a little about Noah and about the delivery.  As you can tell from the photo, I had to fill out info not only about his size but also about his looks, personality, and my labor.  More interesting and fun to read wouldn't you say? 

For the envelopes, I used rather large manila ones to complete the "packaged mail" look of the announcement.  And well they wouldn't be complete without a picture, so I printed out pictures at the local pharmacy and attached them to each announcement with a colorful paper clip I had on hand. 

Voila, the finished product!  The postage was a little extra due to the size of the envelopes, but I felt it worth it to receive this ultra-awesome announcement (in my opinion)!

So there you go folks.  Thought I'd share my DIY birth announcement in case any of you were looking for some inspiration for your own! 










 
PS If you are interested in my announcement, message me and I can share the Word Publisher file with you =)

No comments:

Post a Comment