Mar 2, 2013

DIY important dates wall decor



So this next post I am actually really excited to share with you all.  As many people are these days, I am a huge fan of Pinterest.  The last two Christmases I used Pinterest as inspiration for ideas on homemade Christmas gifts.  If you don't know my opinion on homemade gifts, it is simply that I love them.  I love making them and I love giving them even more.  ( I only hope that the receivers like them as much as I do!). Anyway, while browsing Pinterest last year I found the idea for something called "important dates framed". Looking back now I can't find the pin so I'm not sure if I actually pinned it.  But you may have heard of the concept or even seen a similar pin yourself.   The basic idea is a framed piece of  "art" that has important dates printed on it in a semi-subway art fashion.  The majority of the pins I saw had birthdays of important people/family members on them with some kind of cute caption that read "what a difference a day can make."  

So I was determined to complete this DIY gift for my mom and mother-in-law who both became grandmothers for the first time last year. I wasn't sure if they would think it was as a cool as I gift as I did, but I was willing to take the risk!  

So to do the project, I basically winged it on my own instincts.  I decided to go with the anniversary of my parents and follow with the birthdays of all of their children&grandchildren.  To make the art I went into word publisher and played with different fonts, sizes, orientations and layouts until i found a design I liked.  The finished product looked like this...


It was a success, my mom loved it!  And my mother in law seemed to really appreciate hers as well.  So I thought I'd make one for Dan and I, but with a little twist to it.  So here's the tutorial if you'd like to make one yourself. 

Supplies:
You'll need 1/4 yard of canvas fabric in a light color
Steam A Seam fusible paper or Adhesive spray
8.5x11 craft paper or sturdier printer paper
your design in word publisher or another similar publishing program
an 11x14 picture frame

 

Step 1:  Using your adhesive paper web, attach the craft paper to the canvas fabric.  The first photo below is just me sizing the paper against the fabric.  As you can see there is a margin of fabric around the edges of the paper which I'll remove later.


The adhesive paper needs to be sandwiched inbetween the layers of fabric and paper.


This is what it looks like once the protective paper is removed.  One side of the paper will be sticky and the other side will become adhesive once ironed.

Step 2:  Activate the bond from the other side by ironing the fabric. 

Step 3:  Trim fabric edges.
Step 4:  Load your paper into your printer


Step 5: Print! (As you can see, the twist on mine was making it into "A Love Story".  I chose to highlight what I felt were the important dates/times in Dan and I's relationship.  I also used graphics I found through google images. 
Step 6:  Set into frame


Step 7: Admire =)




And there you have it.  Make one for yourself or as a gift for someone you care about!

No comments:

Post a Comment